How to beat boredom: Quarantine edition

Yeah, I know you've probably read 800 of these. But bear with me.

It's been around six weeks since the circuit breaker here in Singapore started, which means that, like most of you, I have been very bored for a long time. 

I must say that with online school and a TON of assignments to do, it's not like I've had a relatively large amount of free time anyway. But, I have been less busy the past couple of weeks, leaving me plenty of time to be bored in. So anyway, that's why I decided to put together this post.

#1: Read a book.
Shocker. And I know you're probably thinking: "How? The libraries are closed." I will admit, that is a rather significant problem.

Luckily, thanks to technology, it's quite easy to access millions of books right on your laptop/phone. Bonus points if you own a Kindle.

#2: Watch a movie/TV series.
You've definitely been doing this. There's a whole world behind your screen!

#3: Draw/color.
If you own one of those "grown-up" coloring books, then great! If not, maybe now's the time to pick up some paper and a pencil. 
Channel your inner artist. Or just draw a squiggly line. Whatever. It's up to you.

#4: Clean your room/house.
Now that you have so much free time on your hands, you can finally get around to cleaning out the old books/clothes/toys that you were definitely going to clear at some point.

(When you're able to, I highly recommend donating these things to a library/shelter).

#5: Write something.
Time for you to become a poet. Or an author. Or a blogger. There are so many things you can write about!

#6: Learn something new.
I'm talking about skills, languages, or even random facts that interest you. Push your brain to its limits.

#7: Go for a walk/run.
Exploring your neighbourhood is super fun!
Wear a mask and stay safe, kids.

#8: Call your friends.
Have a Zoom party!

#9: Try your hand at cooking.
Now's the time to experiment. Ask your family to be nice when they taste your food.

#10: Bake something.
Everyone seems to be making their own bread these days. Now you can eat all the sandwiches you want.

#11: Volunteer online.
Many sites allow you to make a difference, right from the comfort of your couch.

#12: Talk to your family.
Hey, your parents/kids may actually lead fascinating lives.

#13: Become a DIY master.
This is a stationary box I made from old papers and some plastic sheets.

Those cardboard boxes lying around your house may finally be put to some good use. Plastic folders, newspapers, random stationary...you can make anything!

#14: Do a home workout.
You can find these basically anywhere. Test yourself by seeing how long you can hold that plank pose. 

#15: Make a face mask.
Because it's easy and self-care is important.

#16: Solve some puzzles.
You can find plenty of these online. Crosswords, word searches, sudoku...the options are endless!

#17: Learn to knit.
And if all else fails, call your grandma up and knit some socks.

Final thoughts

This list is by no means exhaustive. There are so many things in the world that you can do while being cooped out in your house.

Also, if you feel like lying on the couch all day and eating potato chips, that's definitely an option. 

Have you tried doing some of the things on my list? If so, please feel free to share your experiences in the comments! 

And if you have tried anything else, then please drop some suggestions!

Comments

  1. I really, really miss just being with friends. I'm an extrovert (duh!) which doesn't simply mean I'm gregarious but means that I recharge my battery by being with people. I'm married to an introvert (you know him!) - he gets his energy from being along and big (or even small) parties deleted him. So I really, really miss 3-dimensional human interaction.

    That said, I read, study, run, workout, cook, bake (keto), Zoom with friends and family and I've even tidied my office. I love your sketching!

    #6 I heard about a great online learning program but it cost hundreds of dollars (and I don't have a big company now paying for such luxuries); I saw in the small print that they offered full scholarships so I applied and - voila!- they are letting me be a full participant in a 2-week program in June - you can bet I'll put my all into that! This happy outcome has happened to me a few times in my life - ask and ye shall receive! Most people never ask.

    You could add sing, dance or do cartwheels (you know who I mean!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. So when I first saw this post, I thought "Not another self-help blogpost - I'm going to scream!" And as I somewhat cynically started taking note of your suggestions, I began ticking them off for me personally - and was really surprised at how many of them I've accomplished...so they must be a great list, right?! I don't do drawing or colouring and I already know how to knit, and I'm dangerously incompetent at DYI and have never seen the point of planking - apart from those minor deviations (both personally and from your list!) I fully subscribe to all of them.

    I would add go to bed early and sleep more, and see how creative you can be with your REAL camera (not your phone!) under lockdown conditions...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment