Books this month (May 2020)

Hey guys!

I'm sure it's pretty obvious, but I'm going to say it anyway. I love books. I love reading them, smelling them, touching them, tasting them...Yeah, you get the point.

I've been reading a lot lately. Reading is such an excellent way to spend your time. It's way too easy (for me at least) to get lost in a book as the hours pass by.

Anyway, I thought I'd put together some of the books I've been reading this month. I'll try to keep this as spoiler-free as possible.

#1: A Place for Us by Fatima Farheen Mirza

A Place for Us by Fatima Farheen Mirza - Penguin Books Australia
Source: Goodreads
"A Place for Us" is a stunning novel that describes the life of an Indian-American Muslim family. The story spans across decades and is told from the perspective of multiple characters. 

I really enjoyed this story and loved how the author managed to incorporate the struggles faced by an immigrant family, especially using examples of real-life events to help shape the plot. For anyone who feels like being deeply moved, this story is for you.

#2: A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab

A Gathering of Shadows (Shades of Magic, #2) by V.E. Schwab
Source: Goodreads

This is the second novel to a series I've been reading, called Shades of Magic. And let me tell you, this series is AMAZING. Full of magic, mystery, and adventure, this is an incredible series that I thoroughly recommend.

#3: A Conjuring of Light by V.E. Schwab

A Conjuring of Light (Shades of Magic, #3) by V.E. Schwab
Source: Goodreads

The final installment to the jaw-dropping Shades of Magic series, this novel did not fail to disappoint. Fast-paced, exciting, and mind-blowing, you'll find it hard to put this book down (I speak from experience, I read it in a day).

#4: The Housekeeper by Natalie Barelli

The Housekeeper by Natalie Barelli
Source: Goodreads

A creepy, psychological thriller that is full of surprises. At least, that's the description of the book. I must admit I didn't like the book very much, most of the blows fell flat and were very easy to guess. Additionally, I wasn't a fan of the narrative style, the main character tended to annoy me.

The style of the novel reminds me a lot of The Girl on the Train. If that's the kind of perspective you enjoy reading books from, go for it.

(The novel actually has pretty good ratings, I just personally didn't appreciate it).

#5: When I Was You by Minka Kent

When I Was You by Minka Kent
Source: Goodreads

OH. MY. GOD. I loved this book so much, it's hard to express it in words (I'll try to anyway).

This book was so different from what I expected it to be. There were so many twists and turns, and the use of different perspectives to narrate the story really adds dimension. With a protagonist who isn't sure who to believe and several people seemingly out to get her, this book will leave you scratching your head and thinking, "Wow, I did not see that coming!"

#6: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - Wikipedia

I've been meaning to read this book for a while now. The author effectively uses the perspective of a slightly spoilt and naive child to narrate real-life events. Stunning and disturbing, I'd definitely recommend you to read this book. 

#7: Wall of Silence by Tracy Buchanan

Wall of Silence by Tracy Buchanan
Source: Goodreads
This book appeared in my recommendations list, so I decided to read it. While the general plot of the story was quite entertaining, I didn't like the narration very much as it seemed to drag on and on. 

Final thoughts

Books are amazing, and I'll never stop reading. There are so many good books out there in the world just waiting to be discovered, and I'm glad I got to share some of my reading adventures with you.

Have you read any of these books? If so, please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions in the comments!

Comments

  1. You are not a book worm but a book boa constrictor! I'm impressed with your literary appetite. OK - I'm sold on Schwab and When I was you. Do you have hard copies of these? I'll do a book trade (temporary) with you when we next meet - I think you might be ready for the great Margaret Atwood, on of my all-time favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! I do have a hard copy of the first Shades of Magic book, and I would love to trade with you! (I bought When I Was You on my Kindle, if you have one, I highly recommend you buy it!)

      Delete

Post a Comment