Book Review: What Lies Between Us by John Marrs

What Lies Between Us by John Marrs

Hey guys! I'm back at it with another book review. 

This book appeared in my Kindle recommendations, and after reading the synopsis along with some pretty good ratings/reviews, I decided to give it a try. And boy, I was not disappointed.

Nina and Maggie are two women living in the same house. They catch up over dinner together a few times a week, and then Nina chains Maggie up before returning her to the attic.

Told from both Nina and Maggie's perspectives, this story focuses mostly on Nina and Maggie's actions and feelings towards each other, as well as the deadly secrets they keep. We also get a few glimpses into the distant past, and the terrible events that occurred, which made Nina decide that Maggie needed to be punished.

Wooow. This book gave me so many mixed feelings, it's hard to put it down in words. I loved the plot of the story. There were shocking twists every few pages, forcing me to spend most of my waking hours trying to read and take them all in. (I barely put down this book, it was that good).

At first, I was a little put off by the narrative style, and the characters tended to annoy me. However, as the story progressed, and more details were revealed, everything seemed to add up. 

What I loved about this book was how the gradual introduction of events shaped my perspectives of the characters. The author managed to develop each character beautifully, keeping them, and the overall story, exciting.

As I said earlier, the number of plot twists is genuinely enthralling. The pace of the story never seemed to slow down, and every word contributed to the main plot. And the ending...WOW. I have no words.

All in all, I would give this book a 5/5. I loved almost every single aspect of the story, and even the parts I didn't like sorted themselves out in the end.

Do I recommend this book? Yes. This is the kind of novel I'm bound to remember for a long time, and I think it would definitely be a good idea to add this book to your reading list.

Have you read this book? If so, or if you decide to give it a try, please feel free to share your thoughts/opinions in the comments!

Comments